Home // Community
The birthplace of St. Cloud and St. Cloud State University is just upstream from the Beaver Islands on the west bank of the Mississippi River.
There, in 1855, the first Euro-Americans built the log homes and simple frame buildings that became St. Cloud. There, in 1869, one of the first hotels was converted into the college that became St. Cloud State University.
The University and St. Cloud have grown, side-by-side, through the generations. As St. Cloud State has evolved into one of the leading public universities in the Upper Midwest, so too has St. Cloud become a center for commerce, education and health care.
Our city. Our university. On our river.