Responsibilities of a Student Organization Advisor
In assuming the role of student organization adviser, it is inherent that the adviser accept and agree to fulfill these responsibilities in the manner listed below:
- Serve as the official person responsible for the budget, including signing financial forms, budget requests, etc.
- Take an active role in advising the student organization.
- Know the general purpose of the organization and be familiar with all provisions outlined in its constitution or by-laws, and review the constitution annually with the organization membership. 10
- Meet with the organization president on a regular basis (at least twice each month is recommended as the minimum requirement).
- Attend organization meetings and events.
- Remain informed of all activities sponsored and conducted by the student organization.
- Establish with the student organization president the manner in which the adviser will participate in the organization’s activities; i.e., programs, social events, recruitment and new member activities, and meetings.
- Know the officers and members of the organizations.
- Be familiar with the status of the current membership of the organization.
- Know the organization’s process for obtaining new members.
- Offer guidance to the organization on goal setting, organization management, program planning, problem solving, and group evaluation.
- To be knowledgeable of and adhere to University policies and procedures which pertain to student organizations and to inform the student organization officers and members of their responsibilities.
- Be knowledgeable of policies and procedures listed in the St. Cloud State University Student Code of Conduct.
- Review with the student organization membership the policies and procedures listed in the St. Cloud State University Student Code of Conduct.
- Report immediately to CSOLD any activities that may or will violate University policies.
- Review and adhere to the policies in the Student Organization Policy Guidebook