Student Organization Guidebook


Registered student organizations are encouraged to sponsor fundraising events to support their organization’s operations and event planning needs. All fundraising events must comply with University policies. Department of Campus Involvement staff members can assist organization members in brainstorming about fundraising options and strategies.

Please note that student organizations are encouraged to be clear about the purpose of any fundraising activities. For example, if an organization is raising money for an organization outside St. Cloud State University, be sure to make that clear in the organization’s advertising and be sure not to use the money for any other purpose.

Please note:

  • Sport clubs are under the jurisdiction of Campus Recreation. Any event involving a sport club using university recreational facilities must be coordinated through that department.
  • All residence hall-related activities must be coordinated through the Residential Life Department.

Human Auctions

  • Auctions which involve selling, bidding for, or in any way paying for person’s individual company or services are prohibited.

Drawings/Games of Chance/Raffles

  • Gambling for money or other things of value on campus or at University sponsored activities is prohibited except as permitted by law.

Food Sales

  • Any food-related sales anywhere on campus must be approved and coordinated through Sodexo Food Services. For questions on food sales, please call Sodexo Catering at 320-308-4295.

Non-profit Status/Tax Identification

  • Student organizations are allowed to use St. Cloud State University’s Minnesota tax identification number. A tax ID number may be used for:
    • Purchases in Minnesota with a sales tax (other than food).
    • Often outside organizations will require the tax identification number for their purposes if they work with a student organization on a fundraiser.
  • Student organizations can get a copy of the MN tax identification number in the Department of Campus Involvement Office at the Resource Desk across from AMC 139 to use for organization purposes only.

Off-Campus Fundraiser

  • Off-campus charitable, not-for-profit and commercial enterprises offer programming opportunities, which often include sales. Such programs may be brought on campus under the co-sponsorship of registered student organizations.
  • It is recommended that when planning an off-campus fundraiser, organizations obtain written permission from the owner of the private property before scheduling an event. The permission form should include the date of the event, type of event, what the student organization will be doing, number of participants, contact person's name, address and phone number, and the type of security, if necessary. If more detailed arrangements are required, a written contract is recommended. A contract protects both parties and clearly spells out agreements in writing.
  • Participation in an off-campus event, or events involving physical activity, insurance should be considered and a written disclaimer giving participants warning and notice of risk by them be provided. A sample copy of a “release of liability form" is available online at

Funding Sources

This is not meant to be an exhaustive list of funding sources. Student organizations are encouraged to seek other funding sources that comply with St. Cloud State University and Department of Campus Involvement policies. For further details on some of these funding sources, refer to the “Getting Money” pages in the Finances section of this guidebook.

Senate Finance Committee Annual Budget

Registered student organizations may request a budget during the annual budget requests process. To be eligible to request a budget, organizations must have been registered for one calendar year and have attended all required meetings/ trainings as determined by Student Government (SG).

Senate Finance Committee Free Balance and Reserve Funding

Registered student organizations may request funds through the free balance and/or reserve funds throughout the academic year. To be eligible to request reserve or free balance funding, organizations must have been registered with the University for at least 15 weeks.

Membership Dues

Registered student organizations are required to have a membership section to their constitution and to review and submit the constitution annually to Department of Campus Involvement. Student organizations may charge membership dues as listed in their constitution, and are encouraged to set the dues at a level that encourages student involvement.

Fundraising Events

A successful fundraiser can do much more for an organization than raise money. The event can commemorate an important day or week, build group and campus community, give event planning experience to new members and be an opportunity for campus and community visibility for the organization. Additional information regarding fundraising can be found in the Fundraising section of this guidebook.

Food Sales

Student organizations may reserve the grill for cookout fundraisers through Atwood Memorial Center Administrative offices. All food sales must be done in coordination with Sodexo. Sodexo staff can be reached at 320-308-4295.

Cultural Diversity Grants

The Cultural Diversity Committee annually solicits proposals from faculty, staff, management and students that address cultural diversity. Guidelines have included cultural diversity initiatives that emphasize the areas of student recruitment, student retention, and faculty/staff retention of domestic groups of racial and ethnic minorities. Projects may also address the areas of curriculum, campus and community environment. Questions regarding this grant should be directed to the Cultural Diversity Committee Chairperson at 320-308-4928.


It is recommended that student organizations collaborate and/or co-sponsor events with other student organizations or campus departments to share in the cost of the event and to reach a wider audience.

Vendor Sponsorship

Student organizations are welcome to solicit vendors to sponsor their event or portions of their event on their own. Department of Campus Involvement staff members are available to answer questions about vendor sponsorships. Student organizations should follow the appropriate promotional standards regarding vendor sponsorships.

Any inappropriate sponsors brought to the attention of the Department of Campus Involvement office will be investigated through procedures explained in the St. Cloud State University Student Code of Conduct.

Untitled Document