Start a Student Organization
Starting a New Student Organization
Step 1: Informational Meeting
You will need to contact a student organization staff member to set up a meeting to go over the steps it will take to become an organization and to answer any questions your group may have.
If you would like to set up a meeting please email us at email@example.com.
Step 2: Complete a list of Requirements
After your meeting with the staff member, you will get an email with a list of the requirements you will need to complete (ex. a constitution, membership requirements etc.).
1. Ten St Cloud State Student Members
2. Three designated officers
4. Identify an Adviser (send their name to Studentorgs@stcloudstate.edu)
Step 3: Adviser Verification
Your adviser will also get an email from a staff member with information about what they need to do to confirm they are the adviser and review your groups registration information.
Step 4: Collegiate Link Training
Once you have found an adviser, membership requirements, and created a constitution you will set up a meeting with Studentorgs@stcloudstate.edu. In this meeting you will be trained on how to complete the registration and effectively use CollegiateLink.
Step 5: Confirmation and Thank You
Once you and your adviser complete all of the required steps, you will both receive an email from a Department of Campus Involvement staff member to let you know you are registered with the university, your organizations web site will be live, and your group will be listed on the Student Organization web site on the list of student organizations.
Note: Sport Clubs and Fraternities and Sororities may have additional requirements or steps to complete to form a new student organization. Additional requirements for either will be explained during Step 1 in the meeting with the Student Organizations staff member. Questions regarding Sport Clubs can be directed to the Coordinator of Intramurals and Sport Clubs at 320-308-3923. Fraternity and Sorority questions can be directed to the Assistant Director for Campus Programs at 320-308-2205.
Requirements to Start a Student Organization
- Develop either a constitution or bylaws - Constitution Templatedoc
- All officers must hold current student status at St. Cloud State
- A group must have a minimum of 10 St. Cloud State students
- Completed the new student organization requirements
Benefits and Responsibilities of Registered Organizations
- View the list of benefits afforded to registered student organizations at http://wwwdev/campusinvolvement/organizations/manual/annualRegistration.asp.
- Complete the annual registration process with the Student Organizations Office by September 30 of each year.
- Update your organization, via CollegiateLink, of any changes to officers, adviser, or members.
- Maintain a full-time St. Cloud State faculty or staff adviser.
- Comply with St. Cloud State Affirmative Action policies, including Title IX, and state it under the membership section of the group's constitution.
- Abide by the laws of the State of Minnesota, the City of St. Cloud ordinances, St. Cloud State University policies, and all policies and procedures outlined in the St. Cloud State Student Code of Conduct.
- Comply with the accounts policies set by the University and by the Student Government.
Who can Start a Student Organization?
Any student at St. Cloud State University can start a student organization.