Faculty Research Award Recipients
1999: Yi Zheng
Dr. Yi Zheng, Professor of Electrical Engineering (Photo taken by Neil Andersen, University Photographer)
As a result of his outstanding research contributions to the field of Electrical Engineering and its related applications and his tremendous dedication to teaching students, Dr. Yi Zheng has been awarded the 1998-1999 SCSU College of Science and Engineering Faculty Research Award. Examples of Dr. Zheng's research activities, as associated with the four criteria of the COSE Faculty Research Award, are listed below.
Support of and collaboration with student researchers:
- Dr. Zheng has supervised over 20 senior design projects, some of which have been supported by his research grants
- He is a co-author of 16 undergraduate student publications
- He has also been a major advisor of 7 winners at the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (IEEE) Region 4 and State Student Paper Competitions
Dissemination of research results:Dr. Zheng has over 50 research publications in IEEE Transaction on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control; IEEE Transaction on Neural Network; Radio Science; Pancreas; Echocardiography; Journal of Biomedical Engineering (Chinese); Review of Progress in Quantitative Non-destructive Evaluation; and the Astronomical Journal in the areas of:
- pulsed-echo ultrasound Doppler signal processing
- signal processing for synthetic aperture antenna array
- image processing for radio astronomy and nondestructive evaluation
- neural networks and its applications for medical image processing
- high speed digital signal processing and image processing systems
- Wideband wireless communications
External recognition of the quality of research activities:Dr. Zheng has received the following awards and recognition for his research activities:
- Post Award, International Symposium on Medical Image, The International Society of Optical Engineering (SPIE), 1997
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (IEEE) Outstanding Counselor Award (one of 10 world wide per year), 1991
- Feature article in St. Cloud Times, March 23, 1997, "Second-opinion Software"
- One of ten North Stars selected by St. Cloud Times, 1992
- Who's Who in the Midwest, 1994, 1998
- Ph.D. Research Excellence Award, Iowa State University, 1987
Grants:As a Principal Investigator, Co-Principal Investigator, and as a Collaborator, Dr. Zheng has received, since 1987, research grants totaling over $1.6 million dollars from funding agencies such as:
- National Science Foundation
- National Institutes of Health
- Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU)
- Texas Instruments
- Ateral Inc.
- Analog Device Inc.
- Motorola Inc.
Service to the research community:Dr. Zheng has provided the following services to the research community:
- Board member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (IEEE) Region 4 Committee, 1996-1998
- Chair, Student Activity Committee, IEEE Region 4, 1996-1998
- Member of IEEE Student Activity Committee, 1996-1998
- Reviewer of IEEE Transaction on Neural Networks, 1996-present
- Reviewer of IEEE Transaction on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, 1994-present
- Reviewer of IEEE Transaction on Proceedings, 1999-present
- Reviewer of Journal of Biomedical Engineering, 1997-present
- Joint Research with the Ultrasound Research Laboratory, Mayo Clinic/Foundation, Rochester, MN, 1991-present